Tuesday 18 March 2014



In what ways does your media product use , develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products ?






Whilst designing my Indie/Alternative music magazine , i took a wide range of inspiration for the layout and design of my magazine from the very popular well known clash magazine . The title of my magazine is visibly similar to the Clash magazine , maintaining the simplicity yet professional look of a one word title . Clash is renown for its brash white titles , so to add individuality i made my title black , giving it the look of a Clash magazine but keeping my own relevant style . Graphologically my magazine challenged the conventions of a Z,H or E layout by trying a more unique style . My magazine layout consisted of a modified E , as the base text is slightly raised from the bottom of the page , and there are clear columns down the sides. However this is a layouts often seen in more niche magazine like clash , who also add the over sized plus sign to make a feature of the additional elements of my magazine . The costumes, props and iconography i used cleverly attracted my target audience , with Clash being my inspiration and knowing that it is famed for being a fashion influenced magazine i knew it was crucial to make these three things professional . Costume wise i stook to the classic check shirt keeping a smart , sophisticated feel throughout but sustaining the alternative genre. In relation to the hair i styled my model on a more retro alternative look , but also Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys is currently sporting a quiff who is idolized around the world , which is why i chose this. This style continues throughout the magazine , keeping with the same outfit and style for the contents page close up , in comparison on the double page spread i slightly tweaked the style , abandoning the quiff and going for a more edgy look , with the messy hair and the plain black top . For the camera work and framing of my images , my magazine looks very professional and similar to the clash magazine as i have made the CVI my strongest piece , with the model looking directly at the camera and making eye contact with the reader to give it that edge and make it look appealing on the eye . I specifically chose a mid shot , with my model central looking directly at the camera . Researching into Clash magazine it was clear to me that this was the best shot to do , to add effect and make the magazine as professional as possible . This also benefited my pictures as my model is very photogenic allowing for the shot to work , and allows my artist to connect with the reader. This is a feature throughout my magazine , again on the contents this time we have a closeup but still i wanted to keep it a running theme of staring down the lense . On the contents page this is very effective as with it being a close up it allows you to see more of the piercing eyes , enabling the artist to connect with the reader . I challenge the conventions of having white text on a black background or " WOB ", by using black text on a white background like " Bo Alarcon ".

For my contents page this time i took my inspiration from the ' Fader ' magazine , this layout is very simple which fits in with the layout of all my pages throughout the magazine. My main focus on all pages was a eye catching CVI and this contents enables me to include a large photo above the text to catch the readers attention instantly with the image.  Camera wise i have used a close up as my main image of my model , with him staring directly at the camera and the camera being focused on his eyes which is the running theme throughout to build a connection with the reader and draw them in. I tried to be a bit different with my contents by using a different inspiration rather than sticking with clash magazine throughout. Honestly I didn't like the clash magazine contents page so i looked elsewhere for my inspiration and found Fader's contents page which i feel suited the house/simple theme of my magazine and gave me the confidence that i could work with the layout of it and make it look edgy and alternative . On my contents page i also decided to bring in another model to create a new artist in the magazine , which enable me to create new things such as " When Bo met Carter " allowing me to unite the two together to create a new page in the magazine which i think worked well. This allowed me to get a good camera shot of them both shaking hands , i knew i wanted specifically this pose to look professional and realistic. This is known as a grip and grin shot, a photograph of no inherent interest in which a notable and an obscure person shake hands at an occasion of supposed significance, in this case when both of my artist met each other.

I haven't used a long shot in this issue of the magazine as i didn't feel it worked , and was relevant , so for the double page spread i used another mid shot , this time adding the effect of black and white to keep it relevant to the house theme that my magazine portrays. Also the framing of every shot in the magazine is well presented , all the key features are there and they are all centrally framed and have good CVI which is what my intentions where in my plan . Also the running theme throughout the magazine continues as i have already explained with the eye contact , which is made on every single photo , gives my magazine a brand and style and allows it to look professional . When deciding on my style and font for my magazine , i tried to keep it basic and simple as it was more suited to the genre i'm going for and all the inspiration i looked at had a very simplistic approach . My masthead font is very simple yet extravagant and bold to create emphasis and attract a potential reader to the magazine . I stook to one font for most of my other writing which was called Tw Cen MT , this font is a very effective font , its not to in your face or over the top it creates the perfect balance across the page . The genre i am targeting my magazine at are Hipsters and Indie Scenesters . I feel as though my front cover portrays this genre as i got the correct model , who himself is an indie/alternative character giving my magazine the head start . Also the style , layout and balance of my magazine on all three pages holds its own uniqueness and individuality and that reflects an indie character . I feel as though the fashion in my magazine suggests the indie genre , and also the hairstyles of my model is of a stereotypical indie person . I also think the house theme running through my magazine had a part to play , as it made my magazine appeal to a very niche audience and give it that little something different . My artist is represented cleverly as an alternative/indie solo artist , i purposely did this to help enforce the genre and attract the niche target audience i am aiming my magazine at . He is represented as a bit of a bad boy but with one dream . My models fashion suits the type of people that will be interested in my magazine . He has an indie haircut which will help distinguish the genre and audience . In most of the photos he has an arrogant look about him , giving him a " rebellious " title and increases the idea that is an indie/hipster magazine. The colour scheme of my magazine is simple , my inspiration clash magazine works with basic colours so i try to keep that same mentality within my magazine using black and white . However most magazines embrace a 3 colour pallet , which i attempted to achieve with the reds on my models shirt mixing with the black and white of the layout .





















1 comment:

  1. Just add some analysis of your contents and this will be ok for a level 3.

    To secure band 4 you will need more terminology in your analysis. Look at the glossary of key terms on my blog to see what you could add.

    ReplyDelete